Sunday 29 January 2012

Stanbury definitely splashed

Running total to date - 92 miles

I made a deliberate decision to try and rest a bit and not run at every possible opportunity this week. Sunday 22nd was the Stanbury Splash - a Woodentops fell race that I have marshalled (I think) every year for at least the last 5, even with birthday generated hangovers. 

Marshalling is great. You get posted to your watch and then spend X hours (depending on the race length) chuntering to yourself (and companions if you happen to have more than one of you), stepping from foot to foot, clapping, small words of encouragement and occasional abuse and some directional pointy hand gestures. Some runners acknowledge your existence, some ignore you, some say thank you. Over the years we've chauffeured people back to the start, given bits of chocolate or a sip of hot tea, taken in un-needed coats, stopped countless folk getting completely lost, taken some pics and generally helped to make sure these slightly bonkers fell runners can race with the surety of the back-up and support we provide.  Every runner should marshal or help out at a race - you might just find some appreciation of the number of people who (gladly) volunteer their time so that you can run.  

This year however, for the first time, I was to be a runner rather than a marshal. 

Saturday and the wind was howling across the moors like you would not believe. I took Blue around the usual 5 mile moor loops above our house and at various points couldn't breathe, step forward or move for the ferocity of the gusts blowing at me. This very short video clip will offer you two things that my text can't - the noise and power of the wind and the ridiculous size and boisterousness of our Blue! 



So, all prepared, nicely rested (or so I thought), wind must have blown itself out meaning Sunday will be calm, tranquil and a breeze of trotting round and about the Penistone moorland. 


None of it. Sunday morning and the wind was literally breath taking. Standing up was an effort, let alone attaining any forward momentum! Nevertheless, I will do this! Bloody Caren had done the Hebden 15 on Saturday so wasn't running this one. Frankly I thought this quite rude but I may forgive her! There were a few other lovely folk, including my new mate Steve (who incidentally had a really nasty injury last year so to be back and running is nothing short of miraculous) who has run at the back with me at a couple of these. I couldn't keep up with Steve on this one though - hip and left leg pain conspired against speed. 


The route takes you through some of the most stunning Yorkshire moorland scenery. Down unreasonably steep hills that require you to bond with your inner child, through bogs and mud, up sheer faces of heather covered moorland and through three 'splashes' of ice cold fast flowing rivers!   


It's a strange thing to come to terms with realising that getting really muddy, splashing through rivers and scrambling up stupidly steep hills is what lights your fire. I finished 358 / 370 in 92mins 33 seconds. So very pleased! If my hip and left leg hadn't hurt so much I might have been faster but I still finished and loved it. 


Caren at Bronte Falls
The other run of note for me this week was my birthday run. Friday saw me celebrating my last 30 something birthday. What better way to celebrate than going for a run?! Just after 6:30pm and Caren and I set off across Penistone Hill to Bronte Waterfalls. Pitch black, snow on the ground, still and peaceful evening. 


I found this the most truly exhilarating run. We paced up the hills not stopping and then opened up on the down hills stretching out and letting go. 


A small navigational error on the way back saw us wading across boggy moorland endeavouring to locate one of the multiple criss cross paths that cover it. There's not many people I know that would find stumbling around in the dark, muddy and boggy with no path in the least bit funny. Cheers Caren! 
The river at Bronte Falls



A small gathering of friends - most of whom didn't know one another but who all live very locally - back at our house made for a fantastic end to a really excellent birthday. Who'd have thought I'd finish my 30's a non-smoker and a runner!?


Today we set off to recce the leg of the Peninne Bridleway relay we're running next weekend. Over in Lancashire it's a bit of a drive and requires car juggling as it's an end to end run rather than a circular route. 


Jill, Irene (Duracell Hill Bunny), Sarah, Diane (runs faster than she thinks and does do hills in spite of what she claims), Si and I set off on this 8.5mile first leg. The whole route follows the Mary Townley Loop - 47  miles of bridleway across some fantastic Lancastrian landscapes. I don't run with other people very often. Today I found an absolute joy. We all varied in our strengths and abilities so ran in different combinations at different points throughout the 9 miles. The support and encouragement was just brilliant. It is a shame that we have to set off at 6:30am next Sunday to run it for real!!!! 




There's two more days of January left - can I clock 100 miles in my first month? 

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring read! Thank you so much for doing it and for letting us read about the highs and lows, the pain and the euphoria, the team work and the solitary times. January is nearly over but your journey is well under way. May a fresh wind fill your sails and carry you to that 1,000 mile mark. :))

    ReplyDelete