Monday 2 January 2012

New Year, new ambition

2011 was a definitely a year of challenge and changes. Now for 2012!

The fags went in February. Best thing I've ever done but so hard. The running started in July. Being married to an inherently fit and active man who sits around and does nothing then gets up and runs a reasonably hard and fast fell race offers a different perspective on running and what you can reasonably expect from yourself.

Over the coming months I will write about some of the challenges I face in maintaining the enthusiasm and commitment to achieving this - New Years resolutions are so easy to brush under the mat and move on from.

1000 miles in 2012 is my personal challenge that I've decided to make public - hence this blog. There's a number of races I plan to enter - each of which is it's own challenge: Keighley 10k; Yorkshireman Off Road Half Marathon; and the Wadsworth Half Trog to name but three. So, rather than pester all my good friends and others for charity sponsorship for each of these races individually I'm asking you to sponsor my 1000 miles challenge.

The two charities I want to raise funds for both do amazing work which has personal connections for me.
In 2007 I lost my brother to an acute asthma attack so Asthma UK needs the support to be able to continue their amazing work in helping people to live full and active lives and to research into the causes and cures.
Sue Ryder Manorlands Hospice in Oxenhope has provided the most excellent palliative care for some of my friends and family members at the end of their lives. The care and support they provide is so important that running a 1000 miles seems a small contribution to make.

Once I figure out how to do it I will post a link to a Just Giving page where you will be able to choose which of these two brilliant charities to donate to if you want to support me in this challenge. If you want to join me and run your own 1000 miles that would be fantastic - let me know and I can add you to the Just Giving team page. I will be logging all my runs on 'Sports Tracker' http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/profile/view_profile - this is free to download and use on your mobile phone. From here you'll be able to see maps of the routes I have run and more.

I'll use this blog to update you about my runs, post pictures of the wonderful landscapes I have the privilege of running in and any amusing stories that might occur along this journey.

Thanks for reading!
Livi

No comments:

Post a Comment