Friday 20 January 2012

Week three - slightly injured but still buoyed with enthusiasm

Running total to date = 62 miles 


When I started this running milarchy in July last year my aims were really quite simple - lose the weight I'd carelessly gained in the process of giving up smoking and put myself in a position where I was able to keep up with my wonderful children without puffing and panting too much. 


My personal trainer, Ben, has been a great motivator. Accompanying me several times a week in all weathers along the "Goit" - a mile and a half riverside path from Haworth to Oxenhope and then back again. Ben has managed to perfect a fabulous running style that, to his running companion and any casual observer, makes him appear to be running whilst in reality he's actually going slower than his usual walking speed.


In conversation this week Ben gave me the most enormous confidence boost. He told me that now 'I run with bollocks'. Whilst my feminist friends will no doubt baulk, tut and frown disapprovingly at that expression, you'll all know exactly what he means. Ben told me that I'm now running and, whilst not fast or managing any degree of speed, keeping on going through all terrains and conditions qualifies me as 'running with bollocks'. Apparently if I was being fired at I'd keep on going without batting an eyelash. Personally I'm not sure about the latter but am both hugely amused and very chuffed at his feedback. 


Ben is available for hire at reasonable rates! He's also my son and without his support I definitely wouldn't be where I am now. Thanks Boy x 


Have I achieved my aims? Not yet! I've lost most of the weight I gained through quitting the fags and starting to eat sensibly - there's more to lose that doesn't seem to want to leave me yet. Can I keep up with my children? Rosie still has me on my knees on our occasional shopping sprees to Leeds so work to do there. The next test of that is in March when I see if I can beat Ben in the Keighley 10k.


White Holme Circular
Sunday saw me entered in to another of Alan Greenwood's fell races - The White Holme Circular. A new route for 2012, 8ish miles and 1200ft ish of ascent and descent. On a map it looked great. From the start a steady 1 - 2 miles of uphill with the rest of the route following reservoir contours around the moor in a loop then returning down the 1 - 2 mile hill to finish. 
We arrived and registered as I realised this was a 'proper' fell race - only 82 runners, no 'spectators' as such - just an "off you go" and off we did. 


True to form I started at the back - with a great group of people who I now recognise, so nod in recognition and share supportive words. Across the moor and up the hill - very icy underfoot, the temperatures had dropped to -4 / 5c in the night. We reached the top and plateaued onto the track that then followed the contours, almost without changing for the next 7 miles. 


The weather was truly beautiful. Crisp and icy sharp air, crystal blue skies reflected in the reservoirs frozen surface. The track was unbelievably dull! 3 miles in I found myself right at the back, my left leg aggravatingly painful every time my foot connected with the floor and everything in me telling me to stop and walk back to the start. 


Many years ago when I had a very half hearted attempt at running, whilst still a confirmed and devout smoker, I gave up on a fell race that I should never have started. That experience has stayed with me (a story for another blog perhaps) so deep in my concious there is something telling me that I cannot let that happen, I cannot give up again. On I ran! And on, and on, and on. 

The scenery was unbelievably stunning - it may have been a race but the photo potential was too great to pass on. 


Ovenden last week was a route of changing landscapes, bogs and tracks, up and down. Interest at every step. This was just so dull! 


Very definitely not my best but still glad I finished, 81st out of 82 runners! 1hour 45minutes 29seconds - considering how bad my leg was my time was pretty good for me!
http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results.php?id=1152 
And who ever measured it at 8 ish miles was lying - very definitely 9 ish miles! 

Messing around on Twitter on Sunday night whilst looking in awe and amazement at what the mad, bonkers folk doing 'The Spine' were up to (the whole 268miles of the Penine Way in no more than 7 days - http://thespinerace.com/ these folks are hardcore or need certifying) I managed to get my colleague, Caroline Pease, who is training to run the London Marathon this year, raising money for her local Samaritans who she also volunteers with every week, mentioned in the London Marathon Daily http://paper.li/hibbsy/1288115532. So my top tip is to hashtag #LondonMarathon if you're tweeting details of JustGiving pages - they get picked up and spread like wildfire. 


I also got my own mention from the Twittersphere oracle on all things fell running - made me smile a lot  
" Fell Running Briefs  And we're not just about the elite you know. Why not follow new runner  as she aims to run 1000 miles in 2012"

Monday and I had a well deserved day off. I say that but I wanted to run! If my leg didn't hurt so much I probably would have. 


Tuesday saw me on my usual train to London. Having got this train for many months, same one almost every Tuesday and stand on Shipley station plaform next to or near the same woman every week. We smile and nod but I now recognise her as someone who ran the Auld Lang Syne - there's even a photo on the WoodenTops website of both of us in the same shot. Small world that we live in. 


I have a pair of road trainers in my desk drawer in London to save me lugging more 'stuff' up and down. So off I set on Tuesday evening with 30 minutes available between finishing work and checking in to my hotel before meeting up with a colleague / friend for a long overdue catch-up. My legs were so stiff and sore. I managed a two mile loop around over Mill Bank and back over Westminster Bridge. Back to the hotel to shower and change.  

The House by Night
I was only 10 minutes late! 

It wasn't until I got home on Wednesday night and looked at the run on SportsTracker on my PC I realised I had run my fastest ever miles! They certainly hadn't felt fast. 

I have rested my legs for the rest of this week - I know it's the sensible thing and Sendraks is right to point this out - he's right about many things (that will make him nod sagely). 

I shall get up and trot round Blue's moors in the morning before Sunday sees me run rather than Marshal the Stanbury Splash. More about that, and hopefully a physio appointment, in my next thrilling installment! 


I'll finish by thanking those of you that have given me feedback on this blog. It was a rash thing to start and still feels very indulgent. I do hope that in taking the time to read this someone will find something that makes them smile, think or gain some confidence and inspiration in what you can do. I'd really welcome your comments on any of these blogs - tell me what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment