Monday 16 April 2012

Recce Runs

Miles to date - 345

This has been 'recce' week! I've never really thought about running race routes before turning up to do them. However, many others are very keen to really know what they are letting themselves in for, understand how they can best plan their run and (hopefully) not get lost! 


It did get me thinking about what the word 'recce' means. Obviously this led to a google and the following: 


"reconnoitre USreconnoiter [ˌrɛkəˈnɔɪtə]
vb (Military) to survey or inspect (an enemy's position, region of land, etc.); make a reconnaissance (of)
(Military) the act or process of reconnoitring; a reconnaissance
[from obsolete French reconnoître to inspect, explore; see recognize]

Verb
1.
reconnoitre - explore, often with the goal of finding something or somebody
reconnoiterscoutobserve - watch attentively; "Please observe the reaction of these two chemicals"

verb inspectinvestigate, make a reconnaissance (of), see how the land lies, case (slang)surveyobserveexplorepatrolscanscoutscrutinize,recce (slang)spy out, get the lie of the land "I left a sergeant in charge and rode forward to reconnoitre."

Noun
1.
recce - reconnaissance (by shortening)
reccoreccyreconnaissancereconnaissance mission - the act of reconnoitring (especially to gain information about an enemy or potential enemy); "an exchange of fire occurred on a reconnaissance mission"

So, to scout out, inspect, survey. I particularly like "gain information about an enemy or potential enemy". There's a couple of runs coming up in the next few weeks where it's probably sensible that I do really understand my enemy before the starter says go! 


I have always enjoyed walking in the hills. Going back to my teenage years, youth hostelling around North Wales, the Lake District, I walked some of the most stunning and beautiful country through days of sunshine and storms. I know how fast the weather can come in and change a summers day walk into a wintry expedition with visibility to the end of your arm. I'm learning (fast) that running in the Lakes puts a completely different complexion on a day out to that which you might plan in your boots, coats and day sacks. Understanding the weather is the same but the distance:time equation bears no resemblance and as for the routes - well why use a path when you can take a more direct line, even if it's vertical! 


Bank Holiday Monday and I was out with Bev to have a look at our leg of the Calderdale Way relay we're running in a few weeks. Bev and I had never run together before but Simon and her partner Fraser have so we have some connections. Setting out for a run though with someone you don't really know is slightly daunting .... will I keep up? .... will I be able to run and talk? On this occassion "will we find the start of the run?" was a more pertinent question. After just over half an hour of running round in circles (about 2.5 miles of circles) we finally found the path we needed! 


The Calderdale Way was devised to mark the creation of the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale in 1974. It is a 50 mile route which follows historic routes high on the valley sides as it circles the boundaries of Calderdale. The relay race of this route is organised by Halifax Harriers and clubs from all over compete to complete the Way as fast as possible. Every leg has fantastic route descriptions (with the exception of the start which is as clear as mud) including Ted Hughes (a local Calder Valley lad) prose to bring the instructions to life; 
Continue towards Sowerby Crow Hill, sensing here the bleakness shared in prose and verse; "Buttoned from the blowing mist; Walk the ridges of ruined stone."
So Bev and I carried straight on for a detour down a track completely missing the right turn across the moor we should have taken! Great example of why recce runs are really helpful! 


My personal favourite on our 10.5 mile leg (that we extended to 13.5 miles) was the wonderful randomness of the fenceless field. I do wish I'd taken 2 minutes to go through though, it might have gone somewhere special! 






The second recce of the week was leg 5 of the Billy Bland Challengethis relay is based on the five legs of the 24 Hour Bob Graham round, starting and finishing at the Moot Hall in Keswick.  It covers about 66 miles, 28,000 feet of climbing and 42 peaks.  The challenge is open to all teams of 10, split into five pairs. The club was originally planning a boys team and a girls team. We're now looking at one mixed team! To make sure we know the leg route and can make a decent attempt at getting round anywhere near the time needed to make the 24 hour challenge a recce was essential. Leg 5 also covers most of the Anniversary Waltz race route so a double benefit for me. 


Saturday arrived and it was only Camille and I up for running. We were chauffeured to the start in Honister pass by Simon, Blue, Ben and Rosie. We got out of Derek the Discovery and realised the air conditioned luxury we'd spent the last 2 hours basking in had been hiding a biting cold wind! With great apprehension (on my part, Camille was just chilled), map in hand we set off!

Setting off with a mile and a half of hill straight in front of you is a daunting prospect. When the wind is biting and then the hail starts to come down it would have been easy to turn around and head back to Derek's heater! But, onward and upward we went. 36 minutes later, aching calves, and we reached the summit of Dalehead. A very gratifying feeling having not been going very long and already we'd bagged the first of three Lakeland peaks. Perhaps this was going to be easier than I thought. The following two peaks, Hindscarth and Robinson, were equally good.  Lots of uphill effort required and not the speediest 'running' I've ever done but the views were awe inspiring and I felt so supremely privileged to be able to run through this amazingly beautiful landscape.  

From Dalehead looking towards Keswick with Catbells to the right







Shaky moments! 
Descending from Robinson was really pleasant and a visual assault on my senses. The steep drop off to our right dropping into the valley with the steep ridge of Catbells ascending out the opposite side gave us the chance to view next weeks Anniversary Waltz route - the reverse of this route with a run back along Catbells (the right hand ridge in the photo) dropping back to Stair village. A truly awesome and terrifying prospect. 


We reached a rocky escarpment, which has to be easier going up than down, and my girly fear sensors went into over drive! Slippy Lakeland rock rubbed to a shiny finish from thousands of boots traipsing over it just didn't inspire me with confidence, especially when I could see just how far I might tumble if I slipped! I must now apologise to Camille for my abreaction resulting in shaky fingers and legs and a significant amount of obfuscation to get me down no more than 20 foot! However, this was the only knee trembling moment. The rest of the downhills, including the most infeasibly steep field which I will have to get up next week, were fantastic fun! 


The leg finishes along little Lakeland roads into Keswick, up the steps to knock the door of Moot Hall. Although the Saturday afternoon market shoppers did look at us as if we may be slightly strange! A cup of tea and slice of toblerone cake and a big pat on the back for both of us. The 3 hour leg took us 3 hours 20 minutes (ish) including many photo stops and gossips with walkers, especially the lovely spaniel owners! 


A recce well worth doing, especially as I now know just how hard Saturdays race is going to be, and then some more. Thanks for sharing this with me Camille - a fine day out! 


The one downside from this recce is a slight ankle injury - a tweaked muscle / tendon making ankle rotation a bit painful and an amusing limp. I plan to rest up this week, a swim or two but no running to make sure I'm as good as I can be for Saturday's race. I'm more reassured that even though I've had 'all out war is on' messages from Fell Ponies Steve as a result of wooping him at Midgely Moor (and having the audacity to include my victory in my last blog) we can push each other round / up Robinson without getting lost! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Livi I feel as if I've been out running with you! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. I really enjoyed it and eagerly look forward to your next instalment. I know you're currently recovering from a nasty bout of tonsillitis and am sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery xxx

    ReplyDelete