Sunday 8 April 2012

Blue

Miles to date - 306 
Races completed - 10 


I am loving running! That's four words I would never have thought I could ever put in the same sentence. As my fitness is slowly improving, my lungs regaining better health and my legs have more miles in them, I am really enjoying a feeling of freedom as I run across some of the most stunning and beautiful scenery this country has to offer. And it's all on my doorstep, free of charge! 


I thought I'd tell you a little more about my most constant, faithful and entertaining running companion, Blue. It's his birthday in May when he'll be 3 years old. Blue started his life on an estate in Liverpool, one of 13 puppies from a Rottweiler bitch and German Shepherd dog. He came to live with us when he was 6 weeks old - extremely cute with tell tale enormous paws! 

We'd had dogs previously. In fact we'd had a Rottweiler X German Shepherd dog. When we made the decision to get another dog, after over 5 years without one, the only type that Simon would consider was something big, black and tan!  Blue grew at an amazing pace, he also developed an amusing and characterful face full of cheeky expressions. 


When they are really small and their bones are growing fast it's really important that you don't over exercise them or let them walk too far. German Shepherds are well known for developing hip problems in later years and we were really keen to make sure he really had the best start. 



Blue was only just 3 months old when we went on our first Summer holiday with him. Our holidays are always in tents and generally involve a fair amount of walking wherever we end up. For Blue's first holiday we were off to Cornwall to catch-up with friends, Jo, Tue, Tom and Mille, and explore the Cornish coast and beaches! Whilst we didn't do any hugely long walks, over 20 minutes at a time is too much for little puppy bones so my rucksack became the perfect taxi for tired paws. 




When I say he was growing quickly, please don't underestimate just how quickly I mean! In our two week holiday Blue grew out of my rucksack and into Simon's Karrimor AlpinEast. He also grew out of his crate - we'd taken a small one and ended up having to buy a medium travel crate as he was getting rather squashed. 


Blue now weighs in at 6 stone, stands at hip height and can easily put his paws on my shoulders. Being a big dog he does need a lot of exercise but that's where the running has been a bonus. He's fairly well trained and as long as there are no sheep around he races around off the lead. He plays hide and seek finding ditches to hide in, leaping out as you approach. His favourite game of the moment is lying flat on his belly and commando crawling through the heather or snow! He loves running so much he gets completely over excited at the sight of trainers and shorts. 

Whilst he does need a lot of exercise he also still needs lots of rest. After a 5 miles run (he probably does 20 for my 5) he's most often to be found on his back, snoring for a few hours. Unless of course there's another walk or run on offer and then he'll happily go again. 


If you do meet us on the moors or out and about, come say hello. Blue loves everyone, especially other canine friends of all shapes and sizes who he can play chase with. 


Back to the running update! Last weekend's race was Midgley Moor fell race is organised by Shaun & Sharon Godsman from Calder Valley. At 5 miles it would appear a reasonably straightforward little local race. The A in the grading however is the slight giveaway that hints at a few feet of upness. Not as much as Black Combe but still a significant amount of up followed by some down to be followed by some more upness and finishing with a long sloping descent - 1250foot of upness in all. 
Whilst this race was really hard I thoroughly enjoyed myself. For the first time ever I found myself really racing to the finish line. As we bounded down the hill to the finish I could hear and almost feel someone's breath on my back. I couldn't quite keep him off and he just pipped me over the line. There is a brilliant sequence of pictures from runningpix that shows this running battle far better than I can possibly describe.  I did however manage to beat Fell Ponies Steve - a triumph! 


Tomorrow I'm doing a recce run of the first leg of the Calderdale Way relay and next weekend a recce of the last leg of the Billy Bland relay which we're doing as a team in June - more on that to come. My next race is not until the 21st April when I do the Anniversary Waltz, 11.5 miles, 3600 foot, and I am terrified! It will be my biggest challenge so far and looking at these pictures  from 2008 has made me realise just what a serious prospect it is. 


Huge thanks to my recent sponsors - Martin (the tenner in my desk drawer), Susan and Howard. I must also mention a pledge from newly married Tony Levy of 1p per mile, 2p for every mile over 1000. If anyone would like to make a similar pledge please e-mail me or post a comment on here. If you'd prefer to sponsor me in a more traditional pen and paper way I do have forms and will try to make them available in numerous locations over the coming months! 
www.justgiving.com/teams/1000miles

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying your blog. Am finding it very inspirational x

    ReplyDelete
  2. marc08 - thank you so much. Your feedback is really motivational having never done a blog before I am really gratified that you're enjoying it. Thanks for taking the time.

    ReplyDelete