Sunday 14 October 2012

Headtorches along the home straight

Miles to date: 908
Races to date: 32 (nothing new since my last blog)
££ to date: £717 (inc £35 cash offline) 

Headtorch running is back with us. Winter seems to have landed with a bump but in between the torrential downpours that have left paths on the moor as knee deep streams we have had some of the most crystal clear and perfect days. 
I've really tried to get out on these glorious days to soak up the Autumnal sunshine and explore moorland paths that I haven't roamed along before. These pictures are from a trot out that took us from home up on to Penistone moor, out to Bronte Falls, over part of the Bronte Way before cutting off to the right to contour round Ponden Clough. 









At the head of the Clough (Blue had a well deserved paddle and drink in the stream) we bore left, past the grouse butts, to go up and across the open moor. Following sheep tracks and running over tussocks and heather covered moorland we reached the rock strewn 'summit'. 

Looking out up north to see Whernside in the far distance and west across Lancashire with not a soul in sight. The clouds hanging like candy floss in a Simpsons sky - just how lucky am I to be able to run here from my front door! 





It's not all been picture postcard days - if only. The last few weeks I've mainly run on my own, after work, in the dark and rain, headtorch on. I've gone out and run when I really didn't want to and had a fantastic time trotting through bogs up to me bum with Blue tearing across sodden peat moor. I've gone out when I really didn't want to and hated it, headtorch has run out of battery leaving me stumbling around in the pitch black in the middle of the moor, Blue has been an overexcited pain pulling and racing off in the opposite direction - trust me 'dog assisted' running really isn't a help when it's 6stone pulling against you in any direction except the one you want to go in.    

But I've still gone out and run - I wouldn't have done without this challenge pushing me on and the support and encouragement I've had from so many people but especially KCAC friends (both past and present members!). 

The Club has regular sessions every Tuesday and Thursday which I have never been too, well apart from 7 / 8 years ago when I went with Ben and Rosie to chat to the other Mum's and watch! I've managed to get down to 2 recently - both of which were just great! Somehow I landed on 'speed' sessions for both - something I really don't do!  Tarmac and sprinting or sustained fast running are really not for me! What was brilliant was being part of the atmosphere - it is a fabulous club to be part of as everyone is encouraged, supported and helped to beat their own demons, achieve their own challenge and, most of all, have fun trying! 

A chaotic week involving the Daughter having her appendix removed plus other family events meant I had some unexpected time off work and a London free week. This fortuitously chance to join one of the regular Wednesday club social runs. I've never managed to get to one of these but what a lovely evening run with fabulous people including meeting the infamous Derby Tup - a pleasure Sir. I have not a clue where we went as Blue and I followed Emily and it was dark! Our headtorches found the monument above Kildwick with a short pause for collective admiration of the new Jubilee inscriptions in the rock. It was a real treat to have such great company for a mid week run. Blue thoroughly enjoyed having many bottoms to sniff and feet to chase! 


Thanks to the amazing Andy Holden for this memory of the Rombalds Romp
So, come join me for the 1000th mile run - I really can't quite get my head round this being just round the corner. When I decided to try and do this 1000 mile challenge last Christmas I had envisaged me spending most of my Christmas holiday in 2012 desperately trying to finish. I planned for at least 6 weeks of not being able to run and aimed at an average of 20 miles per week. As it is, I've only had 3 weeks where I haven't been able to run due to injury, illness and a Skiing trip. My average mileage is working out at 22 miles per week with some weeks topping 30+ miles. 


To celebrate my 1000th mile and say thanks for all of the support, encouragement I've had, the new friends I've made and the experiences this challenge has brought me throughout the year we're planning a 1000th mile social run - if you're reading this and you can get to Bingley on the 10th November for 10:30am please come and join us - run, trot, walk, bring your dog, children, anyone who wants to join in! Matt and Roy at the The Fisherman Inn, Wagon Lane, are kindly supporting me to mark this achievement by giving us the use of the pub to set off from and finish at. The route(here) will be almost the same as the Bingley Harriers Vs Cyclists race (same day, same venue, different time) just a slightly different start to take account of the private land the race route runs through. If you're able to join us it would be wonderful to see you, even better if you fancy donning a tutu or other fancy dress!  

Next races - it's a busy few weeks coming up! 
Withens Skyline - 21st October - a Woodentops race organised by the fabulous Dave and Eileen Woodhead. The route is fabulous and one that I've run a few times with Blue. 

Bronte Way - 28th October, a KCAC organised race. Last year I was too apprehensive and unsure of my own ability to have a go at this so instead I helped at the finish clocking runners over the line. This year I'm really looking forward to the final torture of running up the cobbles on main street, followed by a beer at the finish! 

Shepherds Skyline - 3rd November - a Todmorden Harriers race - this was my first fell race last year and I loved all of it, even the muddy knee deep slurry as you ascend from London Road! It will be interesting to see if my time has improved over the last 12 months. 

Cop Hill - 4th November - Meltham AC - this will be a great race, running around my old stomping ground (we used to live over in Marsden)

Hhhmm two races in a weekend plus a family party inbetween - not sure how that's all going to go but we'll give them a try and hope for the best! 

Into double figures now the next few weeks will be a different challenge, many races, lots of darkness, wet, cold and batteries! Can't wait!

My usual reminder of the Just Giving page - if you can spare a few pennies both Asthma UK and Manorlands will put them to good use helping to change and improve the lives of so many - www.justgiving.com/teams/1000miles

2 comments:

  1. Great going - close to the (end) distance now. Quite a challenge, I just finished up my 2012km in 2012(I'm a Kiwi convert now, no idea what that is in my hometown currency!).

    keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big well done Mark! In miles you must have run 1250miles - very impressed!

    ReplyDelete