Sunday 16 September 2012

Failure through to Yorkshireman wonders

Miles to date: - 807 
Races to date: - 32 
DNF: -
££:- £642

It's been a busy few weeks (months) since I last made the time to write down all that I'm up to so I apologise in advance if this is a bit of a long and incoherent ramble. 

I left you last with my success on Snowdon and looking forward to Borrowdale ... that beautifully scenic but hard as nails Lakeland classic. But before we get to Borrowdale there was some fun to be had at Idle Trail race which popped up on the weekend of the Anniversary of Eddie's death. 

Alone at the PC on a Saturday evening, and being a bit reflective, as I am prone to being on occasion, I suggested to some of the lovely Keighley and Craven women that perhaps, just maybe, they'd like to consider donning a tutu and run with me to celebrate Eddie's life. I had no idea just how much the troups, aided by that wonderful social media of facebook, could rally. Just how many tutus is it possible to find with less than 14 hours notice? 

Janet, Rachel, me, Diane, Irene, Lorna, Katrina and Tina
You are all truly WONDERFUL women x 
We had a fabulous run out and I thoroughly enjoyed have the privilege of Irene, the duracell bunny, and Katrina for a talkative and sociable 10km! 

An enormous thank you to all of the KCAC women, and Shaun, who helped me mark the 5th anniversary and celebrate the life of my brother - who after all is a large part of the reason I'm doing any of this malarkey! If you haven't already feel free to cough up a few coppers
Katrina, Irene Duracell Bunny and Me
I'm going to skim over the Borrowdale epic as quickly as possible - it will sit with me as unfinished business until one day I manage to get myself round it. 

Borrowdale Fell Race is well known as one of the toughest in the Fell racing calendar. A big Lakeland classic - 17 miles covering 6500ft of ascent including Scafell Pike and Great Gable. The scenery is just breath taking. 

I'd had some physio on my knee, I followed all the advice, it had been OK(ish) on Snowdon, I'd been really careful so touch wood with a following wind it would be fine. Much messing around with bum bags and back packs ended in me deciding on both - so indecisive! 
Shaun with his back to us, J-P, me, Camille

Off we set along the narrow lane and on to an even narrower path alongside the river, good slow pace as everyone jostled through the gate and found their place on the path. We broke out on to the fell and started the steep ascent up to Bessy Boot, the first checkpoint. About two-thirds (maybe less) of the way up I could feel my knee tightening and pulling. Slowly climbing up the fellside I had to make the decision about whether this early warning was a false alarm or if I continued whether I was putting myself at unnecessary risk. Once past Bessy Boot there aren't really any more bail out options that don't involve significant ascent and descents. With a very heavy heart I told Camille my decision and we parted, her to continue and me to find my way back to Rossenthwaite. 

I know that pulling out was the right choice - some would say I was daft for even attempting it, injury or not, but I'm glad I tried and I will most definitely be back next year!  


A week or so later and Crow Hill Reverse Fell Race was a lovely little 5 mile stretch out with a most impressive number of KCAC women on the Fell. Between Caren and me we seemed to have mustered (coerced) some interest! OK so it started on a steep continuous ascent that carried on for a few miles before you turned round and ran all the way back down - it's a great little fell race and the T-Shirts are great! 

And then it was holiday time! Our annual pilgrimage to Fairport Convention's Cropredy Convention hasn't previously involved any running, more staggering (aided by helpful children) back to tents after great music and much beer. However, this year and I'd heard a whisper of a run from the main stage on Saturday morning. Obviously this couldn't be missed so Simon and I arrived, shuffling around a bit, and were very relieved when other folk in running attire shuffled towards us. This was the annual Cropredy Hash House run! For those of you unaware of Hash runs I strongly suggest you have a look. 
The 2012 Cropredy Hash Runners 
After a short introduction and set of instructions about  the trail and what the various symbols we would find meant off we set. 7 miles or so later having run off last nights beer, seen some lovely countryside (and the motorway), chatted to some lovely folks and generally had a lovely time we arrived back, via the crew entrance to the festival field and into the back of the Wadsworth bar where barrels of beer awaited! 




Some time and a few small beers later we arrived back at our tents far more educated about the world of hash running than we had been on departure! See you all next year! 



Out from Manorbier
Onwards into our holiday and the need to make sure I kept up my mileage was made a complete pleasure by the beauty of the landscapes I was able to trot along through - Blue keeping me constant company and charming everyone we came across. 

Bristol Downs, Pembrokeshire coastal paths and some lovely tracks around Narbeth. Combining my runs with trips to the beach so everyone was happy meant Blue and I often got to swim at the end of our runs - even better!
Having run a few miles of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path I now think I'd like to try and run all of them (168)! Blue had a fabulous time, even if the sea 100's of feet below him was just too tempting for dog seals! 


Looking back to St Davids head
Holidays over and the reality of work hits, not to mention the reality of the Yorkshireman Off Road Marathon which I had thought I should enter! I've marshalled it and helped out a bit and always thought - you daft fools why on earth would anyone want to put themselves through that?! 
We'd done a couple of runs out to make sure I knew where it went, met some Alpaca's, fallen in a few bogs and I was kind of OK about it albeit a little concerned about whether my little legs could carry my rump around 26 and a bit miles of up and down them there hills. 

Off we went, a steady run/walk pace up the hill out of Haworth and on to Penistone Moor. I felt good, legs working alright, a few KCAC vest about, words of advice ringing in my ears ("take it steady on the hills at the start, save enough in yourself") and truly stunned that I, me, Livi, Olivia (it was Sunday) had set off to run a marathon with hills! 
Courtesy of Dave Woodhead

I'm not going to write a blow by blow account of the ups and downs of the next 5hours and 53minutes except to say that some miles were with lovely people to chat with, some miles were alone, some miles were boggy, some miles were on tracks, the sun shone (too much), it rained a bit (thank goodness),  the checkpoints were BRILLIANT providing sustenance and support (enormous thanks to each and every one of you). 

I knew that Hewenden Viaduct would be an emotional checkpoint for me as it's the one I have marshalled for a few years. I sort of knew that if I made it to Hewenden, 18 miles or so in, that I would be OK. Duracell Bunny Irene had kindly taken up a bag of nourishment for me - egg sandwich and some disgusting isotonic sports uck drink (I say that but it was brilliant!) - as she was giving up her Sunday, along with Lady Katie and others, to make sure we were all fed, watered and supported. A drink, banana and two ibuprofen and I left them - thank you all so much because without you I would have stopped! 

Leaving Hewenden CP and the tears were rolling - I hurt so much, my knee, my hip, my back, everything but I only had 8 or so miles to go. I had to concentrate, run through the pain, keep eating and keep moving forward. I had two lovely chaps from the West Midlands running with me for a bit, their constant chatter kept me going without needing to concentrate too much. I left them as we started the ascent up to Harden moor and I found some strength that had been hiding! Across the moor, being very careful about the navigation as it's a warren of paths, and I knew that my boy would be at the next check point. Sure enough, as I ran down to it he was ready with a drink and the most encouraging words of support. The lovely Liz found me some paracetamol (massive thanks) - my knee was really feeling it - and off I set again. 

The last few miles were just so painfully hard. I was running along a stretch of path I knew but convinced myself I must have taken a wrong turn as it was just going on for too long! I hit the tarmac on Bingley Old Road (that hurt) and set off, collecting my drink from Jilly and Giles' wall (thanks guys),  a quick dib at the checkpoint and up on to Brow Moor - home of my evening runs with Blue. I was so nearly there! 

Arthur - a fellow KCAC member was just in front of me and stopped on Brow Moor for me to catch-up with him and along with the lovely Debbie from Ilkley we paced each other over the last few miles down through the disgustingly muddy Goit and finishing up the hard cobbles of Butt lane - my wonderful boy had cycled back from his checkpoint duties to meet me on this last and toughest road, on to Rawden Road and into the School grounds where I was greeted with beer, hugs, cheers and so much love! I finished 1st woman from our club, 20th woman in the solo and 30th overall - way beyond anything I could ever have hoped for. 
Absolutely ecstatic - finishing up Butt Lane

Bit tired! 
This was, without a doubt, the hardest physical thing I have ever done (with the exception of childbirth) and probably the best thing I have ever done. It has opened my eyes to what is really possible, even for me, with a bit (a lot) of effort and hard work. 

I couldn't have done it without all of the support around the route, the marshals, Ben and Rosie (who helped everyone from parking their car and  registering through to collecting their T-shirt at the end), Arthur for helping me through those last tough miles and everyone who was a part of making this such a fantastic event. 

I'll wrap this up now with a brief mention of the Rombalds Romp trail v fell that I ran round on Saturday morning - good fun and another great picture from Eileen Woodhead. Lovely race and for those who've commented - I am usually smiling as I am loving being able to do this, run the miles, meet the people, make the friends and experience all of the pain, laughter, love and friendship this challenge is bringing me. 

I'll end with the usual ask for £££££££££ for Asthma UK and/or Sue Ryder Manorlands Hospice - 197 miles and 8 races to go!  

Enormous thanks to everyone who has already given so generously - especially Daniel, Helen, Marcia, Alison, Pants and Karen B who've added to the total since I last blogged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment