Friday 9 November 2012

Shepherds Skyline Anniversary Race

Miles to date: 995
Races to date: 36
£££: £1,127 (and rising as I type) plus £70 cash offline

One year ago I ran my first real fell race and finished it! The Shepherds Skyline is a 6 and a bit mile fell race, superbly organised by Todmorden Harriers.
One November morning last year I woke up and decided I wanted to have a go at this. I did, I was terrified at the start line, I loved it! 

It sets off up a muddy single track steady ascent up to the skyline. The pace is set by the person you get stuck behind unless you can nimbly skip past them without falling flat on your face slipping in the squelchy mud! I suppose I should apologise to all those who get stuck behind me but the slow steady pace suits me just fine so by the time I reach the top my lungs will have to work and I should be able to stretch my legs out and enjoy the bog trotting!  

Simon had decided he needed an excuse to be steady so, as with the Bronte Way last week, he ran with me. This race was different for me though as I wanted, needed to beat my time from  last year. I was determined to prove to myself that the last years effort and work would come to fruition in a much improved time. For my first proper race I was stupidly pleased with my time and place last year - I was more taken with the buzz and endorphin high that I discovered when I finished!!

So - 2011 result was 87 minutes 27 seconds - 74th of 82 Women. What would 2012 be?

Photo courtesy of Tod Harriers
I set off full of cold but dosed up with lemsip and ibuprofen. As I reached the top of the skyline and the land levelled out into the boggy rocky path towards the Pike I knew I was racing - rather than running. It was a cold but mostly clear day with the views from across Stoodley moor which are just stupendous. Stretching out across the moor and I felt great. I had managed to push quite hard up the ascent and both Caren and Sarah were within sight - I wouldn't be catching them today but wanted to stay close enough to have them in my sights!

I felt really good running over the tops, not passing anyone but staying with those in front and not many passed me. From Stoodley Pike the descent goes straight down to London road - a steep, muddy and fast descent that allowed me to open up - although at one point screeching to   a skidding halt as the mud turned out to be very slippy rock! 

Along London Road - for London friends reading this you wouldn't recognise the road really and it doesn't lead to the smoke either - through the deep puddles and farm slurry until the marshals send you directly back up through the swamp like bogs steeply back up to the Skyline. Settling in to a steady grind I was determined to not let anyone past even though I could feel my legs waning of energy as my steps got slower and shorter. 
Once at the top though, the bit between my teeth, I knew exactly how far it was back to the finish and I absolutely knew I needed to get past a few runners in front of me. I really ran. Even the pictures look like I was running - as opposed to my usual poses! Running past Dave and Eileen in their photographer modes is always rewarding but today was even more so - thanks so much for your never ending support and encouragement. 


The final descent to the finish was fantastic - I felt great, trying to place my feet to avoid an embarrassing mud slide finish,  I passed two or three others as  I really tried to open up and push my limits, oh and make Simon at least look as if he was making some effort!!! 

So the result - 75 minutes 30 seconds - a 12 minute improvement well worth the effort and more importantly  I loved it! 

Tomorrow will be my 1000th mile run  .... will you be able to join us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment